Friday, January 20, 2012

A neighbourhood morning, January 20th 2012


Well, our beach clean-up today was canceled due to possible dust. Hm. I saw dust on the horizon yesterday, can imagine it was pretty bad in the North. You never know with the weather here.

From Kuwait 2012
It's a gorgeous morning though. For some reason I didn't feel like going to the beach, so I decided to take the dogs at least for a neighbourhood walk.
From Kuwait 2012
I wanted to take some more photos of the former farmland (at least I think that's what it is) and check out if there are some 'new' birds around.

From Kuwait 2012
The rotting Date palms seem to prove my idea of this having been a farm before
From Kuwait 2012
From Kuwait 2012
No new birds, just the usual criminals (Laughing Dove, White-eared Bulbul, House Spassows and 2 White Wagtail).

White Wagtail, Motacilla alba
From Birds Kuwait 2012
The White-Wagtails gave me a little show of Bug hunting. Sadly, the sun was quite bright and I was to dumb to use Exposure compensation, so the white on the Waggies got a little burned out. Oh well.

White Wagtail, Motacilla alba with his breakfast
From Birds Kuwait 2012
I also found a new plant (new for me)
From Kuwait 2012

and two beetles, shimmering golden on the top  -which you of course can't see thanks to my camera skills today ;)
The ones I usually get to see here are simply black on top with varying degrees of 'bumps' on their backs.
From Kuwait 2012
From Kuwait 2012
From Kuwait 2012

There is one old house left, still inhabited, some greenery around it, which attracts butterflies (thanks for the ID Keith! There were about 6 of the same).
From Kuwait 2012
From Kuwait 2012
Painted Lady
From Kuwait 2012
From Kuwait 2012

I wonder how long this little paradise will last until the encroaching 'civilization' will finally swallow it all.

New vs old
From Kuwait 2012
Burnt tree
From Kuwait 2012
Road construction and encroaching civilization
From Kuwait 2012
From Kuwait 2012
Someone ID-ed this tree the other day on Project Noah, but it was on some other spotting and I didn't write down the name. Gggrrr....

From Kuwait 2012
The fruits are edible when ripe

From Kuwait 2012

There are some people that try to make this place look a bit better

From Kuwait 2012
From Kuwait 2012
and others that don't give a shit

Trash dumped in road construction site
From Kuwait 2012

This one's probably my favorite photo of the day. I snuck it when shooting the tree

From Kuwait 2012